Turning on and shutting down a computer is a one of the must have basic computer skills. With this basic lesson, you will learn how to turn on and shutdown your computer.
How to Turn On a Computer?
Turning on a computer is easy, even your grandma can do that! Like any other electronic device, there is a dedicated button (called as ‘the power button’) to turn on your computer. A universal symbol is used to spot the power button across all electronic devices. Simply press the power button to turn on your computer.
However, most of the desktop computers will automatically turn on when the electricity supply is on.
Unlike a TV or radio, you will not be able to start using your computer as soon as you press the power button. It takes some time to complete the turning on the computer. You can start using it once the startup process is complete. When the startup process is complete, you will see a screen something like below. It’s called ‘the desktop’. The shape of the desktop is depends on the operating system which installed in your computer.
The Startup Process of a Computer
Computer is a complex device. It’s powered by a number of gadgets have pooled together. So the startup process of a computer have to also be complex. The following five step procedure will explain the startup process of a computer.
- Power up – applying power to the machine.
- Power-On Self Test (POST) – checks all connected hardware, including RAM and secondary storage devices to be sure it is all functioning properly.
- Find a boot device – a hard disk partition or a removable storage device in which an operating system installed.
- Load the operating system – boot process begins loading the operating system from the boot device. The operating system is loaded into RAM, and any instructions specific to the particular operating system are executed.
- Transfer control – the boot process hand over control to the operating system. At the end of the handoff, the computer is ready for use.
How to Turn Off a Computer?
A few mouse clicks or keyboard strokes will be needed to turn off your computer. The procedure is vary with the operating system installed in your computer.
In Windows, Open Start menu and click on the Shut down button.
In Apple MacOS, click on the Apple menu icon and select Shut down… command.
In Linux, It’s hard to explain a single method to turn off a Linux computer because it depends on the default desktop environment installed in your Linux operating system.
Before Turn off the Computer,
- Remember to save all works you’ve done.
- Close all application windows and dialog boxes properly.
Can I Use the Power Button to Turn Off my Computer?
Indeed, you can use the power button to turn off your computer. However, what happens when you press the power button is depends on your computer’s power settings.